Friday, February 18, 2011

Compositional Elements of Design and Framing Decisions


















Making definite marks and distinct decisions within the frame of your picture plane is very important. There are many choices you can make but which is the right one? Square format, rectangular, add this object, takes out that object, so forth and so on ,.......Compositional elements of design and framing can seem like a daunting and endless job. Lately I have been working on canvas mounted on board and find that I enjoy the freedom of changing my mind about the format and size of the composition. I like cutting, changing and sometimes even omitting elements for the sake of design. This painting has potential to be viewed with multiple framing ideas. I still might take out the asian sculpture but as I brought the frame closer to the left and omitted it the painting felt different, some what empty and unfinished. You have to be brutally courageous and just make the decision. Sometimes this is how I see it and sometimes I can definitely see it another way. Art can be very stimulating and also very frustrating at the same time. I guess I wouldn't have it any other way. Still haven't decided yet, and yes it might sit in my studio a bit longer before I'm really sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment