Saturday, February 19, 2011

Still Life Painting


As I see it, still life painting is a very meaningful drawing and painting lesson. One is compelled to pick objects of interest, and place them in a pleasing composition. I find this genre in historical painting fascinating; artists have picked odd things to paint ranging from dead fish/animals to kitchen still life paintings with cheese and beautiful breads!! As a contemporary realist painter I am drawn to beautiful vessels/pottery combined with colorful floral remnants. I also love to combine different textile and fabric patterns. These studies keep my interest during long winter months in the studio and the unlimited amount of subject matter continually keeps me challenged. I remember an elementary art class lesson plan that I had small groups of children do. They were given a format and each group had the same symbols to use and place in the rectangle. It was interesting to see how each group used their innate sense of balance and placement to resolve spatial/design issues! This is something artists do on a daily basis. Some aren't even cognitively aware that they're do it. How they decorate, cook, move within a room,compose music, construct and navigate through a social conversation, etc.,,,, As I see it, still life painting is a lot more than the "sum of it's parts"!

No comments:

Post a Comment