Sunday, February 27, 2011

Art as Someone Else Sees It !


Sometimes I ask my family how they like a particular painting or which frame might work better. If you ask different people how they feel about different works of art you will probably get different answers. Art is not a survey. My daughter saw this particular painting, "Mixed Flowers with Plum" at a recent exhibition and said, "why did you put that painting in", "it doesn't look finished"! I felt this painting reached a certain level of satisfaction for me. The freshness, clarity of color and brevity of brush stroke seemed to captured the beauty and simplicity of the piece . I was trying to keep the image as simple as possible without over working the painting. The vase says it all, "less is more"! All I could say in response to my daughter's critique was, "but I really like this painting". As I see it, someone else may see your painting a little differently than you do.

1 comment: